Thursday, May 13, 2010

Book Habits Meme - Spring 2010 Version

Nacked from James, who nacked it from The World in the Satin Bag

What is your favorite drink while reading?

Usually a glass of water or beer. The type of beer depends on the season, of course. In cooler months, maybe a pint of Guinness or pumpkin in warmer months, maybe a Hoegaarden or summer ale.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

No, not never.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?

Either a book mark or the promotional/marketing letter included with the book.

Fiction, nonfiction, or both?

Mostly fiction, but occasionally a sports biography, a war book (like the excellent With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge, the basis for HBO’s The Pacific.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?

I try to read through to the end of a chapter, or one of those double-paragraph breaks – the sub chapter.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?

The only book I every threw across the room in disgust, since I’ve been reviewing, is Sara Douglass’s Hades Daughter. I came close with a couple of others, though.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?

If I’m near a computer, I’ll rock a Wiki.

What are you currently reading?

Shadowrise by Tad Williams and Swords and Dark Magic edited by Jonathan Strahan and Lou Anders.

What is the last book you bought?

With all the books I get for review for SFFWorld.com, I don’t buy books for myself very often any more. The most recently purchased book is With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?

No more than two at a time. One I will read during my lunch break at work and the other at home.

Do you have a favorite time/place to read?

Any time and everywhere

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?

Not really, although from a distance it would seem series since many of the books I’ve been reading are part of a series. I think that’s more a condition of the genre itself, really.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?

Matthew Stover’s Acts of Caine, beginning with Heroes Die, George R.R. Martin’s Ice and Fire, Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Charles Wilson’s Spin

How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)

Haphazardly, at best. I’ve got bookshelves in different rooms in the house, so there’s no real rhyme or reason other than…hmmm, all of my Tad William’s doorstoppers will fit on this shelf in this room, so here they go or I’ll put my first edition A Game of Thrones in the living room bookshelf so all can see it in its Silvery foil glory.

No comments: